Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Bit of a Surprise

Zephyrhills, Florida (hi 79, low 64)

I had the laser Iridectomy on my right eye done yesterday morning. 

Prior to the procedure, I read up on  it on the internet, and it sounded like a very simple, painless procedure.  The doctor uses a laser to poke a small hole in the iris.

What it didn't say was  that is would take 41 attempts to get the job done.  Surprised smile  Evidently, it takes more than one laser blast to go through the cornea.  He just kept hitting the laser and each little blast was painful.  It was kind of like a jackhammer, verses a bullet.

It was more painful than I expected.  I only expected one little blast from the laser and it would be done…but he kept it up and kept it up. 

I started getting a headache immediately, so they gave me some extra strength Tylenol.   When I walked out a few minutes later Al said I looked like I’d been beaten up.  I felt like it too.  

I have to go back next week for a check up.  I hope it was successful.  I’m not looking forward to getting the other eye done.

We went straight home and I laid down for a while until my headache got better, then we went and got some Lucas Bio Medic Fuel Sterilizer.  We found out that we should be adding this when we’re sitting for a while to prevent algae build up in the fuel tank of the motor home.  Since we’ve been sitting over a month, we decided to go ahead and get that done.

We made a quick run to Camping World, then home and I had a 3 hour nap!  That procedure certainly took it out of me.

Today,  Al has an appointment with the optometrist….here we go again.

16 comments:

  1. OMG That procedure sounded horrible. Can't imagine thinking it would be one laser shot and then discover it was so many more. Hope you feel better today and your eyesight is fine. Good luck to Al also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin and Ruth
    Our Thousand Trails membership saved it a lot last year and we only were able to use it about half the year (due to selling the house and buying new motor home). I figured out the cost (if I remember right),per night camping was under $7.00. We are hoping to use it more this year and lower our per night cost. Not as cheap as you get in Mexico. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Karen I can certainly understand why you aren't looking forward to the other eye. Why don't doctors tell us what is really going to happen so we are prepared rather than making it all seem like no big deal. We are finding that here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow so sorry Karen to hear about the pain during the surgery...zap mine a couple of times...but definitely not that many..I did have the headache afterwards now that I remember...maybe the other eye won't require so many zaps..heres hoping...did they tell you to be sure to wear dark (sunglasses) for a few days? they told me that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, sorry to hear the surgery was such an ordeal, but at least you're half done.

    You are smart to put the fuel stabelizer in your tank, but make sure you have extra fuel filters. If you have alge in the fuel, the bio-cide kills them and they can plug up the filters.

    You probably don't have any alge if you've been sitting for just a month, but it's always good to be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, sorry to hear the surgery was such an ordeal, but at least you're half done.

    You are smart to put the fuel stabelizer in your tank, but make sure you have extra fuel filters. If you have alge in the fuel, the bio-cide kills them and they can plug up the filters.

    You probably don't have any alge if you've been sitting for just a month, but it's always good to be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh NO! I am so sorry it was so terrible!!! Here we were all hoping it would be a simple one hitter and it was a pounding.

    I'm hoping you're all better today! And when you go back you learn it was totally successful!! That will surely encourage you for the other one!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ack! Not the eyes. Anything but the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cannot imagine the discomfort you described from the eye surgery. I'm sure you are glad that one is done. Hopefully you'll get the results you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe how horrible that must have been. I would have needed more than Tylenol. Hope all is better today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have heard of many people getting that done, but no one has ever described it to me before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That didnt sound like a lot of fun. Here's hoping the other eye doesn't need so many blasts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW ~ I hope your feeling better! Doesn't sound fun at all...

    Never heard of Lucas Bio Medic Fuel Sterilizer ~ Thanks for the info!
    Take it easy & Travel safe
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elaine
    I sure was surprised they had to zap my eye so many times. I want to ask the doctor if that was normal. They did't tell me to stay out of the light..in fact they didn't tell me much of anything. I'm not a big fan of this surgery center.

    Paul and Marti
    We had heard we might have a problem with fuel filters, so I we plan to pick up some replacements. I guess we need to run it while we're still sitting here?? Now I'm kind of nervous that we may have some clogged filters. We have only been sitting still for a little over a month though.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. We love to read them! To contact me directly you can send e-mail to rvtravels2@yahoo.com