Thursday, February 16, 2012

It’s Such a Small World

Zephyrhills, Florida   (hi 81, low 60)

Every so often, I am reminded at what a small world we live in.

When I worked at USAA Insurance here in Tampa, I had a co-worker, also named Karen.   We became good friends, but lost touch the past few years.

Here is a picture of Karen and her husband Ken  (that I stole from her Facebook page).  Devil

 390404_2946678188741_1314883702_3155270_2147126617_n

Karen and I recently reconnected via Facebook and are making plans to get together soon. 

She told me she has an old friend named David that is also an rv’er and travels around just like we do.  She thought we might run into him and his wife since they like to to kayak and hike just like we do.   Given the number of rv’ers in this state right now, I figured it was unlikely we would run into this unknown couple. 

Anyway, Karen called me yesterday.  Evidently, while reading my blog and some of the comments, she noted that her friend David reads this blog and we read theirs as well!

Her friend David,  is the same David of  “David and Sherry”  from the blog  In the Direction of Our Dreams.   Now how about that for a coincidence? 

In fact, Karen told me that the picture on their blog of David and Sherry together, was taken by Karen’s husband Ken when they visited with them last winter.

Karen and David went to high school together and have kept in touch all these years!  We have wanted to get together with David and Sherry ever since they arrived in Florida. 

Every so often something like this happens to make me realize what a small world we are living in.

 

Al worked yesterday,  and I worked around the house resolving some billing issues with our health insurance.  We have very good insurance, but when you use an out of network provider, it gets to be a real hassle.   I think I got it resolved and I felt very good about it.  I’d rather clean someone else’s toilet than deal with medical insurance billing!  I tend to procrastinate until I can’t procrastinate any longer!

 

We have a large flock of small birds around here that I’m hoping to photograph and identify today.  They all fly together in the same direction, but they don’t ever seem to land.  They just flit around from one place to the other.  They remind me of schooling fish.  They seem to have a yellow underbelly.  Anybody have any idea what they might be?  I feel sure they have migrated here for the winter.  Normally, I would have gotten out and photographed those birds….I’m falling down on the job, but today’s going to be the day!

Someone sent me this picture of a beautiful black fawn.  Isn’t he adorable?

image001 (1)

image003

anyone out there who uses the word identification on their blogs….if you’re not getting as many comments, it may be because the people can’t read the words.

I went to two blogs this morning and had a heck of a time deciphering the words I had to type in to be able to leave a comment.  After the third time on one, I said the heck with it and closed out.  I think they have changed these because the words seem to be harder to read. 

When I read blogs on my Droid, I rarely leave comments if I have to use the word verification because it’s harder on a small keyboard.

If I try once or twice and don’t get the right word….a comment isn’t left.

11 comments:

  1. nice shot of the fawn running through the meadow!!..and as for the word verification..I noticed last night that most blogs with this had two words to decipher!..and the second one was always harder to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice shot of the fawn running through the meadow!!..and as for the word verification..I noticed last night that most blogs with this had two words to decipher!..and the second one was always harder to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'd go so far as to say I'd rather clean someone else's toilet, but paperwork is certainly a pain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of white deer before but not a black deer. Real cute.

    Yes it is a small world. David and Sherry are good friends of ours. Hope things work out so that you can meet each other.

    Syl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have actually seen a white deer. but not a black one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the hint about word verification. Being new to this I hadn't given it a thought. I went in and changed my settings to omit that step!

    ReplyDelete
  7. excellent shot of the fawn..and love your header photo...I noticed today while trying to comment on others blogs the word verify problems...sometimes there is even 2 words side by side or a word and a number....strange...hence why I don't use it on our blog...have a super day

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the new two word system on blogger. I think I will start posting a "I may read your blog, but I won't comment because of the word verification message" on the blogs I follow.

    I don't think mine has it on, but I'm going to check.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Agree with you on the word verification. I am going to leave the following message on any post that is using it:


    I will continue to read your posts, but I am seriously considering not leaving any more comments on your posts. It was hard enough when I had to descramble one word, but now that blogger is asking for two it might be too much trouble unless I feel my comment is very important.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a small world with many wonderful people. Sherry and David are two of them that we also call good friends!! Hope you get to all meet and spend some time together!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I'll be. I didn't recognize either Karen or Ken from the picture but then I only met them once.

    Sure hope we get to meet you more than once since we have so many things in common.

    I've dumped the word verification on my blog. Too much hassle. The folks who do blogger (those google guys I guess) sometimes make me want to swear.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. We love to read them! To contact me directly you can send e-mail to rvtravels2@yahoo.com