Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving with Baxter

Wesley Chapel, Florida (high 72 low 48)

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American friends.  Canadians celebrated their holiday a while back, so I assume they don’t celebrate it twice, unless they are in the U.S.

We awoke to the temperature at 51 degrees.  Not as cold as my weather app predicted, but plenty chilly.  It looks like the night time temps in the Keys are about 10 degrees cooler, which is much cooler than when we were there last year.  I like cool nights for sleeping, but in the Keys, I want warm days and warm water.   I hope it warms up a bit before we get there on Sunday.

 

My little two pound kitten has grown into a very big (and tall) boy. 

IMG_5058

 

I don’t think I’ve ever had a cat that could stand on his rear feet and reach food on the counter……but Baxter can….and does.  He’s getting pretty tall. (and wide)

 

Baxter

Every morning we make a green smoothie.  I use spinach, kale, blueberries, bananas, pineapple, cranberries, mango……and various other ingredients depending on what else we have on hand.   Baxter always helps because he likes to get whatever drops on the floor, or he just waits for me to hand him a bite of something.  He loves raw spinach and kale.  He is also very curious on what is on the kitchen counter. 

When we start the smoothie process, we take all the ingredients out of the refrigerator and put them on the counter.  More than once, Baxter has reach up and tried to grab something.  Usually it’s the box of blueberries or the lid from the spinach.  I had always been able to catch him before he pulled anything off…until now.

 

I pulled all the ingredients out of the refrigerator and was starting the process. I guess I wasn’t paying close enough attention because the next thing I know, he had pulled a huge box of spinach off the counter and onto the floor.  Of course,  before I cleaned it up, I had to take a picture and call Al to come  and see what his boy had done.  In the meantime, Baxter decided to get a bite of his Thanksgiving harvest!

IMG_6416

I didn’t punish him…it was just too funny.  You can bet I didn’t throw all that spinach away either.  I just rinsed it off and put it back in the box.  

 

We ended up spending half of yesterday out in the stores, and traffic.  The grocery stores were crazy and all the drivers seemed to have a death wish. I sure hate Tampa traffic.  

The sheet saga continues.  I have/had  two sets of sheets that I bought from Wal-Mart.  The first ones were great, no wrinkles and nice and silky smooth.  When I found them a few years ago I bought another set of the exact same thing but in a different color.  The first sheets didn’t last very long at all.  One time I pulled them out of the dryer and the bottom sheet was almost shredded.   It’s that planned obsolescence thing I guess.  I’m still using the second set, but I fully expect them to disintegrate soon.  Do you remember when sheets would last forever?

I didn’t want to buy any more of that brand from Walmart since they didn’t last, but I finally gave up and bought what I thought was the same brand.  They looked so nice in the package, and felt silky smooth to the touch.  I tried the pillowcase test and it flunked.  The pillowcase came out all wrinkly, despite the claim that they were wrinkle free sheets.   I know many people don’t mind wrinkled sheets…after all you’re eyes are shut when you’re sleeping, but when I make the bed, my eyes are open and I don’t want to see wrinkles!    So, back to Wal-Mart these will go.  It will have to wait until after we get back from the Keys.  Can you believe, there is no Wal-Mart in the Keys? 

I always like fresh clean sheets before we travel, and I was planning on new sheets for our Keys trip.  I guess I’ll just have to wash the one set we have and put them back on the bed.  No new sheets for us this trip.

Happy Thanksgiving!    Yes, we will be eating some turkey.

17 comments:

  1. Good luck with the sheets and enjoy your Turkey, I know we will. And I hope the Keys warm up soon, just too cold and windy here, for our liking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Baxter. He is a big kitty and so fluffy. I'm following your sheet saga closely because I'm going to need a new set before too long. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy that turkey. I know I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I've bought three sets that had to go back to the store. I'm going to try a suggestion I got and check out microfiber sheets....didn't know they made such a thing.

      Delete
  3. Our Baxter and Bella brother and sister? Bella tries the same stunts that Baxter does. They are too cute.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad Baxter, Bad Bella..but you're right, they are cute!

      Delete
  4. Baxter is one fine looking kitty!!
    sheets? have you tried Costco? that is where I usually buy ours.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and Al!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baxter is a furr doll....you just couldn't get mad at that face :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baxter and our Midnight would get along great. Does Baxter stretch up and open doors? Hope you have a great Thankgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh Baxter has gotten so big, he doesn't look fat in the first picture(on counter) but looks huge in second one guess it's all that fur---or does he need to go vegan ha ha. I agree with the micro fiber sheets they are very soft and typically don't wrinkle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is fat. He has such an appetite and wants his food bowl filled all the time. That was the desk he was sitting on. He is not allowed on the counters....for obvious reasons. :)

      Delete
  8. I've never seen a vegan cat before! Baxter is amazing and makes sure you are eating healthy. ;c)

    We gave up on WM sheets, we bite the bullet and buy from Bed, Bath and Beyond. Much more $$$ but they last and last.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baxter is sure to add even more excitement to the day I am sure. Have a great day:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum sounding smoothie! Maybe you should make Baxter a vegan he could use to lose a little weight. :-) Maybe a bowl full of spinach. HA!

    We did the Flexatarian thing for Thanksgiving too. Happy Day to you all and hopes for a great trip to the Keys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicodemus would have gotten on the counter and batted it down! This boy knows no boundaries! He knows them, but so far is ignoring them, I mean! For that reason, I am not putting up my Christmas tree this year. I know he couldn't tip it over, but he could do major damage and I have many treasured vintage and treasured ornaments. Other decorations I will play by ear as far as getting out.

    Good luck with the sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know if you have a Tuesday Morning down there, but that is where we find quality sheets at reasonable prices.

    Baxter must be in the same family line as our Noah. They look similar and Noah is a hunk of a cat. He does the same things as Baxter. We'd better never let them compare notes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, sheet! I had a set of sheets that my mother gave me when I got married the first time, and they lasted longer than the marriage (16 years vs. 25 years). I like to look for bedding at TJ Maxx or Marshall's (same thing), and Nan's idea of Tuesday Morning is good, too.

    Baxter is so stinkin' cute. That face!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. We love to read them! To contact me directly you can send e-mail to rvtravels2@yahoo.com