Friday, April 10, 2015

Haitian Orphans-Key West Photos

 

Cudjoe Key, Florida (high 85, low 75)

Our weather is pretty much the same every day, with very little cooling overnight. The north Georgia mountains are starting to sound appealing, especially since its been to windy to go boating. This is the time of year, you need to be out on or in the water.  The seas are too rough for us, so we’re staying on land. The good news is that the Atlantic should be warming up very nicely.

The other day, I was sitting outside on the patio, and noticed a young couple with two adorable little black girls.  They were trying to teach them to ride bikes and the girls were having a lot of trouble.  I didn’t think too much of it, but later I got to talking with the mother.  It turns out they the girls were adopted from Haiti after the terrible January 2010 earth quake.   I wasn’t exactly sure what year the Haiti earthquake occurred but after learning it was 2010 and they girls ages, the younger one wouldn’t have even been born then.    Obviously, there are a lot of orphans in Haiti.  The mother (didn’t ever get her name) said they had spent up to 20 hours a day in their cribs.  That sure isn’t a great way for a child to begin her life, is it?  They were both having trouble socializing but the younger one was much worse.

She said they didn’t actually know the ages of the girls for sure, but they were “aged” to be 3 and 5 years old.   How sad is that?  Apparently, the “aging” process can get within 6 months either way.  We were speculating the older one was probably on the older side of the 6 month estimation.

The older girl was pretty shy. She wouldn’t talk or make eye contact with me, but seemed to be a pretty happy little girl.

The younger was was pretty sad.  She was obviously developmentally challenged. 

It was good to meet this nice couple who took on two very challenging girls and are raising them as their own. Who knows what horrible things happened to them.

 

Al is getting my cold now, doesn’t it figure?  I’m getting better and he’s getting sick.  I told him to take his Echinacea!   So, it looks like we won’t be doing much fun for a few days.  We are supposed to go see Howard Livingston play tonight.  Yesterday when I wasn’t feeling well, Al joked that he was going to go without me.   Now the shoe is on the other foot and I might leave him at home!

 

Here are some pictures you might enjoy from around the islands.These were taking the past few weeks. I try to never leave home without my camera.

These are white pelicans. They always hang out at the same spot each year, but it’s a long way from a road.  I had to zoom way in to even be sure what they were and I think they were getting ready for bed.

IMG_9434

 

IMG_9437

Waiting for sunset off Blimp Road.

 IMG_9440

IMG_9439

IMG_9473

 

Pelicans swimming with HUGE tarpon.  Notice how the pelicans are mindful of the tarpon?   These were the biggest tarpon we’ve ever seen.  They were by the docks in Key West. 

A guy was cleaning fish and throwing the scraps into the water. Normally pelicans would grab the scraps, but they were a bit wary of the tarpon.  The splash on the right side of the picture was a tarpon.  The pelicans backed off.

tarpon and pelican

Notice the pelican with his eyes on the tarpon?  He is not going to fight the tarpon for a fish scrap. Tarpon are beautiful fish when you see them underwater.  They are shiny and silver.  This picture almost captures how pretty they are. They usually are in schools.

big tarpon and pelican

Interesting signs around Key West.  I have to agree with this one.

welcome to Key West

Key West to Havana via Pan Am.

IMG_9517

Key West is the most bike friendly city you will ever go.  You are allowed to ride in the bike lanes, sidewalks (except on Duval Street) or even  down the middle of the road.  Of course the bikers don’t think they have to stop for lights, stop signs or stopped traffic. They weave in and out of traffic, cutting right in front of you.

IMG_9496

As I was walking down Duval Street with a frozen margarita in my hand, I stumbled (not literally) upon this sign.  Oops.  Of course, I have never seen it enforced.

IMG_9271

There are some lovely old houses in Key West and many with beautiful gardens.  There is a 12 month growing season here with no chance of frost, so things grow well.

IMG_9510

I loved this gnarly old tree.  (one of these days I need to get a photo of the cab driver called Bob Narley)  He looks just like you would expect.

 

IMG_9533

My photos do not capture the size and beauty of this huge old Banyan tree.

 

IMG_9520

looking up

IMG_9524

Not an old part of town, but still very pretty.

streets of Key West

They have house and garden tours for charity sometimes.  One of these days, I would love to tour some of these old treasures.  We’ve been coming to the Keys for years and still haven’t begun to see everything we want to see.  Guess we’ll have to come back.  :)

IMG_9515

This Bed and Breakfast was was pink wrapped for the owners 90th birthday celebration.

IMG_9270

IMG_9267

I’m not sure this rooster was too healthy.  I hope he was just napping.

IMG_9506

There are chickens everywhere in the Keys.

baby chicks

chickens

IMG_9518

Hearing the familiar “cock a doodle doo” is so common you hardly notice.

Be safe out there and watch those tornado forecasts!

10 comments:

  1. I really admire those who take on the challenge of those poor orphans. They deserve a special place in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The memories through your photos. We definitely don't miss the 4 am wake up calls though. Even though we rode our bike down Blimp Road we never even thought to go down there to watch the sunset.
    We are taking our time heading north in hopes that the severe storms settle down.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! Those poor kids. I have learned alot about mental illness is my current job and bless those babies heart, I know they will all struggle with it. Bless that couple, whoever they were. What a challenge that lies ahead. As far as the temps go, thats a bit too warm for me. The nights are still cool here. Perfect camping weather, we go next weekend. I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best and biggest banyans I remember were on old street(s) in Miami near the dentist that I went to (2461 Coral Way).

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have two orphaned grandchildren and they have adapted very well. The older toddler, had a language barrier but playing with friends helped.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are scheduled for a cruise from Port Canaveral April 26-May 3, then a window repair on May 6 in Hudson.

    Any chance you'll still be around in FL? We'll be heading to MO from FL probably right after Memorial Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In all your sunset watching, have you ever seen a green flash? Where I live it's suburbia so no clear views of the sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you can't get on the water I hope you are getting in the water. It should be nice and warm if your temperatures are anything like ours in the NW of Florida. Sorry to hear Al isn't well but glad you are better. That banyon tree looks huge with I assume Al there at its foot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We wandered the streets around Key West and just love the ambiance, so magical.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. We love to read them! To contact me directly you can send e-mail to rvtravels2@yahoo.com